Discussion 1: Definitions and Theoretical Models of Addiction
The term addiction is used throughout this course to include both substance-use disorders (e.g., alcoholism, cocaine dependence) and behavioral disorders with addictive components (e.g., pathological gambling, sex addiction).
Addiction, whether to chemicals or behaviors, is part of a broad continuum (Doweiko, 2015). At one end of the continuum is total abstinence or the non-problematic use of chemicals or patterns of behavior. The moderately problematic use of chemicals or patterns of behavior, known as abuse, is found in the middle of the continuum. At the far end is the destructive use of chemicals or patterns of behavior that characterize addiction. A person can move from the abuse stage on the continuum back to the non-problematic stage with reasonable effort. However, as individuals progress into the addictive end stage, a great amount of motivation, effort, and professional guidance are required to change.
· Post an explanation of what addiction is from a professional perspective to a client in order to establish an understanding in laymen’s terms.
· Include a psychological or medical model of addiction that supports your explanation.
· Then, clarify how your explanation relates to Marge from this week’s media piece “Counseling Session 1.”
· Support your response using the resources and the current literature.
References (use 3 references)
Doweiko, H. E. (2015). Concepts of chemical dependency (9th ed.). Stamford, CT: Cengage.
DSM-5 proposal would change substance abuse, dependence to addiction. (2010). Alcoholism and Drug Abuse Weekly, 22(7), 7.
Laureate Education (Producer). (2012b). Counseling session 1. [Multimedia file].
Thanks for installing the Bottom of every post plugin by Corey Salzano. Contact me if you need custom WordPress plugins or website design.
- Assignment status: Already Solved By Our Experts
- (USA, AUS, UK & CA PhD. Writers)
- CLICK HERE TO GET A PROFESSIONAL WRITER TO WORK ON THIS PAPER AND OTHER SIMILAR PAPERS, GET A NON PLAGIARIZED PAPER FROM OUR EXPERTS